From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-12 04:26:16

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 12:32:42PM -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

> "Stefan Slapeta" <stefan_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > >
> > > The libstdc++ developers are starting to implement the library
> > > extensions from TR1, including Boost-like smart ptrs, regex etc.
> > > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1687.pdf
> > >

> > [...]
> >
> > I would really prefer to see a more general implementation of TR1 that
> > is not only usable for GCC.
> > It has often been suggesteded in this group
> > to implement such a library as a part of boost, and IMO this would also
> > be the right place for it (IIRC, for some TR1 libraries a simple
> > configuration of the namespace could be sufficient)

FWIW I split the shared ptr bits across std::tr1 and ::__gnu_cxx (the
libstdc++ namespace for non-std stuff) but we've now decided to just
leave everything in std::tr1, including the parts from boost::detail.

> > Of course, every compiler implementer is free to write his own TR1
> > library now, but I'm not sure if this makes much sense!

For proprietary libraries where it matters that the code is owned by the
library copyright holder I can see it makes sense.

> Dinkumware is producing an implementation of TR1 from scratch. In the process,
> Pete Becker has apparently discovered some small problems with the
> specifications and some improved implementation techniques, so I don't think
> independent implementations are such a bad idea.

True. There would be nothing to stop libstdc++ doing an independent
implementation later, but for now I think the idea is to put together as
much as possible, to have _something_ there to experiment with.

> > Furtermore, it could be a good decision to wait another 2 weeks until
> > TR1 has reached its final state.
>
> Naturally.

I'll certainly be working from the final report when it's available
(though I didn't realise it was due that soon).

The TR1 code we're working on will be in the libstdc++ CVS repository,
but won't be part of any GCC release before the TR is finalised.

Thanks for the input, and thanks again to those who have replied already
giving permission,

jon

--
"Until they become conscious they will never rebel,
 and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious."