From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-12 04:45:14

Jonathan Wakely wrote:
<snip>
> Would the SmartPtr authors (Peter, Greg, Beman, Daniel, Howard, Multi
> Media Ltd ...) consider allowing modified versions of shared_ptr.hpp,
> weak_ptr.hpp, shared_count.hpp and (maybe) checked_delete.hpp to be
> included in the GCC sources? It would probably require licensing them
> as GPL, which is where I imagine some people might have reservations.
> That wouldn't affect the copies in the Boost tree, of course.
<snip>

libstdc++ is not solely distributed under the GNU GPL - if it was, every
program built with it would have to be distributed under GPL as well.
It actually has a "runtime exception"
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/17_intro/license.html> which
means (roughly) that the library may be used by any program distributed
under any terms. You need to ensure that the copyright holders are
aware of what this additional clause says before getting their permission.

Ben.