From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-15 10:32:23

Joaquín Mª López Muñoz wrote:

> Markus Schöpflin ha escrito:

>>The exact compiler switch removed was "-g". I will try to find out whether
>>there is perhaps an updated assembler available which fixes the problem.

> Please keep me informed if you make any progress. Thank you again.

More on this...

It's really not the fault of the system assembler that the file cannot be
assembled by gcc in debug mode but the fault of mips-tfile which is an
executable (first needed for MIPS, now only in use for Tru64, hence the
name) which comes with gcc and is used to put the debug symbols from the
assembler source into the object file _after_ the system assembler has
created the object file.

The length of the debug symbols mips-tfile can handle is limited to 32768
bytes. :-( There are some defines in the source code of mips-tfile.c
(namely PAGE_SIZE and PAGE_USIZE) which look like they could be used to
change that limitation but I'm not sure what else depends on these constants.

I thought you might be interested in these findings.

Markus