From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-15 14:05:33

Hi Brian,

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Brian Braatz <brianb_at_[hidden]>
Fecha: Viernes, Octubre 15, 2004 6:56 pm
Asunto: RE: [boost] Library Proposal: database (boost::db)

[...]
> I am currently going down this exact path and wanted to share what
> I ran
> into:
>
> 1- Boost does not have a 2dim "Table<>" - i.e. a Recordset
> 2- Boost.multi_index only works with concrete structures
> I would love it if I could use that to make a dynamic Table\
> recordset

What do you mean by concrete structures?

> 3- I have had to build my own Table<> by internally using
> boost.multiindex

Do you mean, you have actually built a Table<> class
using Boost.MultiIndex?

[...]

> I believe boost is missing a "recordset" analolgy and I would hope
> thatwhatever is created is not "struct only" like
> boost.multi_index. (don't
> get me wrong I LOVE the multi_index - it just doesn't work
> dynamically)

Well, in the past I thought about what a
dynamic_multi_index_container (with run-time specification
of indices) could look like: the implementation internals
are not hard to solve with the same framework as
Boost.MultiIndex, it is the interface that I don't have a
clear idea about. Also, I don't envision a clear usage
scenario for this, and there are RTTI-like issues
involved as well (what should get<N>() return?)

If you'd care to sketch what kind of dynamic multi_index
you have in mind (from the user point of view) maybe we
can come out with some solid design to implement
in future releases of the lib. My intention is to stay
away from relational stuff, but I'll go for a dynamic
container if it can be made general purpose.

On another topic, have you considered Arkadiy's
RTL as another source of ideas/synergies? Seems like
Arkady sort of diverted to his BOOST_TYPEOF facility,
so I don't know what the current status of the lib is.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo