From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-16 12:22:50

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:26:12AM -0500, David B. Held wrote:

> The applications are there. But this is a domain in which most of the
> applications simply use the existing APIs, even if those are not C++-
> style APIs. Like sockets, threads, and everything else, we use a C
> API because that's what is available,

This is certainly true for me, I do a lot of development using the mysql
C API because it's the native one, and because MySQL++ is hideous,
bloated, buggy and only half implemented. But even though I am the
maintainer for mysqlcppapi, which fixes most of MySQL++'s glaring
problems, where I work we use my own very lightweight wrapper around the
MySQL C API. This does little more than automatic resource cleanup in
dtors, provide an iterator interface to the query results and use
std::string not char* - and that suits the purpose quite well, without
adding overhead to the native C API. Unfortunately this wrapper is very
closely tied to MySQL's C API, so probably wouldn't work well on top of
another DB. Anyone interested can have a look at
http://www.kayari.org/mymysql/
It only consists of three header files.

jon

--
"When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean
 -- neither more nor less."