From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-16 12:33:11

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote

> No question. I think part of this is that RTL wasn't initially targeted at
> interfacing to databases - it essentially replaces the database by
performing
> joins, etc.

RTL wasn't initialy, or ever, targeted at interfacing to databases. What we
tried to achieve was to add relational tables to C++, in the same fashion
STL adds vectors, sets, or maps. Adding relational tables assumes defining
operations on them, which is relational algebra. So we do not provide the
interface to real databases, but OTOH, I don't know any other library around
that would allow you to perform join on an std::pair, functor, or a [smart]
pointer. RTL does.

Futhermore, this approach dictates compile-time record type generation.
This follows more from the type-safety rather than from the performance
perspective.

> No question. But since RTL doesn't provide an interface to a db
currently...

Because we never meant to do this. For better or for worse.

> At the end, I think resources are the big problem...

You bet.

Arkadiy