From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-17 10:17:02

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:35:37 +0000 (UTC), Steve Hutton wrote
> On 2004-10-15, Maciej Sobczak <prog_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.msobczak.com/prog/soci/
> >
> > This library aims at simple usage patterns, where intuitive and almost
> > "embedded" syntax at at premium. A very different approach from those
> > you discuss, but in fact complementary and can be merged with other
> > approaches.
>
> As someone who has used odbc, jdbc, dbtools, sqlapi, otl, occi, etc.,
> this looks very nice to me. Further, the relative simplicity
> suggests it would be straightforward to implement for the leading databases.

I've added a page to the Wiki to record this discussion -- feel free to add
your thoughts on the basic requirements there...

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Relational_Database_A

> C++ really lacks a free, uniform, portable solution for rdbms access.
> Having like this library in boost would be *huge*, IMHO.
>
> One way to proceed might be to submit this a boost::db, while
> acknowledging that more sophisticated bells and whistles can
> be submitted separately later, either as enhancements to the
> base boost::db or as separate (but dependent) libraries.

Perhaps, but it might not go well in the review process. I'd really like to
somehow see the authors of DTL, OTL, etc come together and work on a boost
proposal. Each of these libraries in my view brings something to the table --
including baggage. If we could get all the experts pulling together I'm sure
they would produce something great for the larger C++ community in fairly
short order.

Jeff