From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-19 00:11:35

Roland Schwarz wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> Roland Schwarz wrote:
>>

>>> I wonder if it is possible to use the signal library to do
>>> interprocess/(synchronized)interthread calls.
>>> Would it be easily possible to extend it into this aerea if not
>>> already possible?
>>>

>> By "interprocess/(synchronized)interthread calls" do you mean
>> signals that are triggered in one thread being handled by slots in
>> another thread, or do you mean something else ?
>>

> This is not exactly what I mean. I was thinking morealong the lines
> of a remote procedure call mechanism.

How does this fit in with boost::signals ? Do you mean to say that when the
signal is triggered it could use RPC to call the slot functors if those
functors were in another process ? That is certainly a worthy possibility to
do interprocess communication using signal/slots but it is clearly not part
of the current boost::signals implementation. I think such RPC functionality
would need to be built into the boost::function/boost::bind implementations
in order to work with boost::signals. Whether interprocess communication
should be part of boost::function/boost::bind, and even how it would be
done, is something Mr. Gregor and Mr. Dimov could decide if they so chose.
Perhaps the first thing to be done is build an boost RPC libary. I have
worked with RPC in the past, going from Windows to HP-UX, using the RPC
functionality built into Windows but I would not swear that RPC is
standardized across all major operating systems.