From: martin.ecker_at_[hidden]
Date: 2004-10-20 01:43:33

Hello,

Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I don't see unload/reload as a requirement. I think this use case would
be
> pretty obscure. What semantics would you even expect in that case?

Actually, one of the reasons I invested time to make serialization
work in DLL form and with serialization code in user DLLs was exactly
because we have DLLs that are loaded/unloaded explicitly at runtime. A
typical example could be a server that loads specific plugin modules
during runtime (and can unload them again). Or in our case, we have a
plugin for 3ds max that uses boost::serialization to write out data
for our main application. 3ds max plugins must support dynamic

The semantics I expect in this case is that the classes in the newly
loaded DLL that have serialization code register their extended type
info with the global boost::serialization type registry, and upon
unloading unregister it again.

We've been using our modified version of boost::serialization ever
since the draft release #18 in a rather large software system that
consists of a large number of DLLs (all with serialization code, of
which some are dynamically loaded/unloaded during runtime), and
haven't had any major problems with it so far.

Regards,
Martin

TAB Austria
Haiderstraße 40