From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-22 17:50:59

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:27:06 -0500, Rene Rivera wrote

> Also logging is used for output other than debug output in system
> friendly programs. For example sending info when your server
> application starts and stops to syslog.

Yes, exactly. There's usually a log_info category or something that doesn't
get turned on/off by the level settings, macro expansion, etc.

> John's code is very close to that. If the code that his BOOST_LOG
> produces could be reduced to a simpler public interface so that
> those of us who don't want to use the macros can use instead, it
> would make it a winner for me.

I haven't had time to look at his code yet :-(

> One important aspect of having a public macro-less interface, is
> that it would allow those with current log facilities (like me) to
> recode without changing all the logging calls. Which is a rather
> large task when you have a few million lines of code in your
> application :-\

I'm not sure I understand -- are you saying you will integrate new logging
into the same output stream without having to recompile all the existing code?

BTW, one 'logging related' feature I would love to see is the stack snap that
was discussed maybe 2 years back and has some prototypes in the files section.
 It would be wonderful to log a stack trace with data before throwing an
exception. I realize it wouldn't be portable to all platforms, but it can be
ported 'the major platforms' and it would be a huge boon to solving real-world
problems in big software systems. Of course it could be a stand-alone lib too...

Jeff