From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-22 18:31:14

Jeff Garland wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:27:06 -0500, Rene Rivera wrote
>
>>One important aspect of having a public macro-less interface, is
>>that it would allow those with current log facilities (like me) to
>>recode without changing all the logging calls. Which is a rather
>>large task when you have a few million lines of code in your
>>application :-\
>
> I'm not sure I understand -- are you saying you will integrate new logging
> into the same output stream without having to recompile all the existing code?

In my case I have two options:

a) Change my single Log.h header to use a new log facility directly.
That would require a full recompile.

b) Or I could change the implementation my log facilities, at my
Log.cpp. This would not require a recompile as it would only change my
log.dll.

What I don't want to be forced to do is change every instance of
log<*>::*(...) in all my code as it would literally take me weeks to do
it, and to test it.

Not that I'm saying it would not be possible for me to use something
that is macro based. What I'm saying is that it's guaranteed to be
possible to make that switch with a macro-less supporting solution.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything