From: Tito Villalobos (tvillalobos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-24 02:02:55

I would bet money (not much, but maybe a few dollars ;-) ) that the 2
pages came about because of a linewrap in the link. Sorry, I'm sure I
screwed that up somewhere.

Array binding, (by which I believe you mean "bulk row fetch") is
available in ODBC. It can be done either as arrays of structs
("row-wise binding") or as arrays of columns ("column wise binding")

While I like the SOCI interface, we need to port it over to ODBC. While
Oracle is one of the major vendors, everyone supports ODBC. (Of course
the process of "boostifying" it may end up reworking alot anyways.)

There a fundamental design question, and how we answer it will probably
affect much of the remaining design:
Do we want to have the actual bound columns be member variable/fields of
the recordset object, or do we want the client to declare them and bind
with a pointer or reference? The first way is the most common, and
doing it that way would result in a similar interface to ADO,
mysqlcppapi, and many other libraries. However, it can also limit
flexibility, and it may make it impossible to attain the same
performance using the library as hand coding to the API. Or can we
offer both?

Tito