From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-25 11:40:16

Well, I don't know python, and have never worked with boost.python.
However, in response to your question I looked at the documentation for
boost python. It would seem to me that making a small function to wrap
serialization so it could be called from boost python should be
investigated. It looks to me like a couple of hours work could solve save
you days or weeks of work in parsing the XML archives. I can't believe its
not worth the time to at least investigate.

"Russell Hind" <rh_gmane_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Robert Ramey wrote:
> >
> > Can't you use boost python to call boost serialization from within
python
> > via some wrapper function? wouldn't this make the whole process totally
> > painless? I believe someone else, (I forgot whom) was doing this with
good
> > success.
> >

> Possibly, but I don't know python at all, and the people here who do use
> it don't know it brilliantly. The idea of using XML is so its basically
> text readable so they can understand the file format easily, but we do
> require some binary data otherwise the files would get too big so zipped
> XML seemed like a good option which is why when serialization was
> announced we decided that would help.
>
> Personally, I'd stick to a pure binary format but describing a file
> format to them which has things like reference counting information and
> type information in it is no easy task.

It would be if the above could be made to wrk.

> One day, we plan to provide dlls to access our files which would solve
> all problems,

Well, that's an optimistic assesment !