From: Sergey Sikorskiy (sergey.sikorskiy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-25 11:36:07

Brian Braatz wrote:

> I just added
>
> "
> 5) Does not require the usage of RTTI
>
> 6) Allows for the user of the library to "plug in" thier own binding \
> subscription system. (to support bound controls)
> "

It is also important to have a connection pooling and a statement pooling.

Almost all modern databases support parse-bind-execute interface.
Parsing of a statement can take a significant part of a total statement
execution time. Having a pool of prepared statements increases
performance twofold or threefold (at least with ORACLE).

It is important to have a well-designed hierarchy of exceptions to map
database-specific error codes because people will need to handle not
just an error but either a constraint violation or a permission
validation problem.

Database independent sql generator would be an important part of a
database framework because we will need to generate DDL statements with
different syntax for different databases at least for regression testing
purposes.

Do not forget about the LOB data type :-) There are two major types of
LOB data types: with a random access interface and with a sequential
access interface.

Supporting of a database-specific data types would be a plus. ORACLE
users will ask you about ref-cursors anyway.

Thanks.

--
Sergey Sikorskiy