From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-03 19:11:27

(was RE: [boost] Re: GUI library - something to think about)

Both
http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/save_dlg.html

and

http://www.litwindow.com/Library/Documentation/documentation.html

are extremely interesting.

What I see (just after taking a peek at both):

Win32Gui
        Interesting design
        No macros
        Looks tied to Win32Gui

LitWindow
        Also interesting design
        Does have macros
        Also sits on top of WxWidgets, but it looks like the WxWidgets
layer could be abstracted out.

I propose that BOTH authors collaborate (on this list) to achieve the
following:

* Combination of the best of both frameworks
* Can sit on WxWidgets OR can have a win32 and xwindows underlying
implementation
* This would allow it to be in boost, but also be LEAN and
not need another framework

I believe that if you took both of your thoughts, and accomplished the
above bullet points, not only would it be good for boost, but it would
really mean that boost had something that was much cooler than what I
see available from other (ahem) vendors. I.e. instead of making a boost
library that just "provides a layer" over GUI things, this combination
would be actually moving the technology forward. (they don't call it
"boost" for nothing :) )

I ask that both of you gentlemen seriously consider my proposal. I would
also offer to help in any way that I can as I think you both have some
really groundbreaking ideas in the realm of GUI frameworks.

(fingers crossed)

Brian :)