Date: 2004-11-04 03:12:18

Brian Braatz wrote:
> (was RE: [boost] Re: GUI library - something to think about)
>
> Both
> http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/save_dlg.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.litwindow.com/Library/Documentation/documentation.html
>
> are extremely interesting.
>
> I propose that BOTH authors collaborate (on this list) to achieve the
> following:

Hi Brian, hi all.

I am all for collaboration. The Lit Window Library is a high level
approach to UI coding. This is not yet apparent since the real stuff is
still missing. An upcoming article will delve deeper into this. The
point is, it is not meant to be a GUI framework, but a layer _above_ the
  (any) framework. The framework itself can be abstracted out, although
tighter integration with an existing framework would be a good idea.

Simply put, I want the Lit Window Library to do for UI coding what the
STL and Boost are doing for algorithms. I want to build a library of
commonly used UI interface patterns such as the "two list box/four
buttons" implementation for the "select m of n" UI pattern or "listbox
with two buttons 'up' and 'down'" lets a user change the order of the
elements in a list box.

Just as noone is coding their doubly linked lists anymore, nobody should
have to code all the event handling and data transfering/binding to
implement the "select m of n elements" pattern anymore.

On another note, the wx community is discussing a "wxTNG", a next
generation widget library. I'd love to see collaboration here. Their new
approach is going to be a lot cleaner, I think, and the boost library
has been mentioned.

It would be such a shame if all our efforts went into similar but
different projects.

I will investigate.

Best regards

Hajo