From: Erik Wien (wien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-06 11:08:26

"Daryle Walker" <darylew_at_[hidden]> wrote in message news:BDB1F6B8.11B5E%>
> Would taking on this project be the best idea for Boost? We wouldn't be
> able to help Erik too much to prevent accusations of cheating.

This will not be a problem. Not as far as I have been able to tell anyway.
My college is fully aware that this will be an open-source project, and that
decisions on design and the like will be done in collaboration with the
community. This is not the first time this type of development has been done
as a bachelor's thesis here. As long as we don't take credit for something
that someone in the community did (and we certainly won't!), there shouldn't
be a problem associated with this.

> But what
> happens if Erik proceeds too slowly for someone?

Well.. That's not really my problem! ;) If the project goes forward, it WILL
be completed within may 2005, or else I fail my degree. (I don't want to do
that!) I seriously doubt someone else will have the time to develop a
competing library and submit it before that time. Remember, we will be 2
guys working full time on this one entire semester. But anyone is of course
free to try if they want to. I won't stand in the way.

> They can always do their
> own Boost Unicode project, but that may bring up the cheating problem.
> Basically our Unicode needs will be locked into Erik hands, and neither
> assistance nor competition can occur unless Erik withdraws the project
> from
> either Boost or his college.

Not really. Boost may freely choose to reject our library if it isn't any
good. Someone else may also start their own library if they choose, but as I
said, I doubt someone will have the needed time available. In fact, the
reason I proposed this in the first place was because there was a genuine
need for such a library, but apparently no one had the time to develop it.