From: Valentin Samko (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-07 15:34:45

>> Also, if we do not treat E^n as a vector space, then
>> the difference in this space is somewhat undefined.
MW> No. You are assuming difference in E^n is a binary operation, whereas
MW> it is a mapping into R^n.

It all depends on how you define it. The difference in E^n is
in E^n, and since noone distinguishes E^n and R^n, you can say that
the difference is in R^n. Anyway, this is getting further and further
away from the original question. There is something wrong if we try
to distinguish E^n from R^n, talking about a GUI library.

>> I probably used the wrong word there. By *point* I meant "an element",
>> and element in R^n is a vector. You can not have "points" in R^n, which
>> are not vectors.
MW> So we seem to agree.

Kind of. We are down to E^n vs R^n, which according to most literature
is the same space, and according to some lecture notes are different
spaces.

Valentin Samko
http://val.samko.info