From: Hubert Holin (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-08 05:16:07

Somewhere in the E.U., le 08/11/2004

   Bonjour

      What Reece described is the difference between a vector space and
an affine space. A vector space has one "special" element, the zero
vector, whereas an affine space has none (every point is equivalent to
every other). You *have* to choose one point in an affine space and
label it as the "origin". There is (intrinsically) no way to choose such
a point canonically. The confusion (that there is some magical way to
choose the origin) comes from the fact that a vector space can *also* be
endowed with an affine space structure (usually, but not necessarily, by
choosing the zero vector as the origin). Likewise, one can derive a
vector space from an affine one, but both are conceptually, and
practically, two very different beasts. "Point+Point" is meaningless,
"Point+Vector" is meaningful.

         Hubert Holin