From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-08 16:43:57

At 12:48 PM 11/8/2004, Robert Ramey wrote:

>Note that making one's code "serialization friendly" does not require
>inclusion of a header from the serialization library.
>
>In most cases it should be sufficient to include
>namespace boost { namespace serialization { class access; } }
>and
>
>friend class boost::serialization::access;
>
>in each class definition.
>
>I don't think that's a huge burden.

No, that doesn't seem like a huge burden.

Let me see if I understand the issues correctly:

* As it stands now, boost::filesystem::path can be serialized by
derivation, as Francis Andre suggested. Easy to do, but a bit messy to my
taste.

* But by adding the two lines of code above, boost::filesystem::path
becomes serialization friendly without further ado. And granting friendship
does not create a dependency on the serialization library, so the cost is
strictly limited.

Unless someone indicates I'm misunderstanding something, I'll go ahead and
add the two lines of code, but I think it is too late for 1.32.0.

--Beman