From: Matt Austern (austern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-08 15:16:58

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:16:49 -0000, Paul A Bristow
<pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

To some extent it's important to be careful with the use of the word
"you". For the most part I'm not reporting my own views. Mostly I'm
reporting what happened at the Redmond C++ meeting, because I think
it's important to understand what the discussion was like. (I don't
know what, if anything, happened at the Redmond C committee meeting.)
Your earlier message suggested that you thought the tone of that
discussion was "we want there to be an implementation before we accept
this proposal", but I think a more accurate characterization would be
"in light of experience implementing the TR1 special functions, we
think that doing a good job on a proposal for still more special
functions would be extremely hard and we're not convinced that it's a
good cost/benefit tradeoff."

You don't have to try to change people's minds about the potential
benefits of standardizing these functions, of course, but if changing
people's minds is your goal then you need to understand what the
participants in this discussion really did say. (And when I say
"people", by the way, that's not a euphemism for "me". On this
particular subject, I listened more than I talked.)

Some possible alternatives that might change people's minds:
 - Show that doing a good job, i.e. implementing these functions with
the same sort of accuracy as a high-quality implementation achieves
for sqrt or cos or lgamma or cyl_bessel_j, is easier than people
thought.
 - Convince people that, in the case of these particular functions
you're proposing, they should lower their standards for what a good
job is.
 - Convince people that these functions are more important than they
thought, so that even if folks think this is an extremely difficult
implementation task they'll still think that the cost/benefit ratio is
worth it.

If you're going for point 3 then you might want to consider broadening
your scope instead of narrowing it. One point that some people made
at the Redmond meeting is that most people who want to do statistics
use a statistical package, i.e. something that operates on data sets,
rather than just using bare transcendental functions and writing all
the data set manipulation themselves. It's possible that people would
see a different cost/benefit tradeoff in a statistical package than in
a collection of more special functions.

          --Matt