From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-18 08:58:26

Daryle Walker <darylew <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> On 11/16/04 9:55 AM, "Joaquín Mª López Muñoz" <joaquin <at> tid.es> wrote:
>
> >> To mention Aleksey there is the least we should do to thank him for
> >> everything he did for this release (and for the future ones) and I hope
> >> it's not too late for that!
> >>
> >> Anybody volunteering to write 2 sentences?
> >>

> > Maybe something to adorn the acknlowedgements section like shown
> > below?
> >
> > http://195.235.93.150/boost.html
> >
> > I don't know, perhaps it's a little too childish, but well I was in the mood
>
> Since everyone so far was gushing with joy over the suggestion, I guess I
> have to step in personally to be the kill-joy objector.
>
> The "1.32" moniker implies that there have been (around) 31 previous
> releases. What makes Aleksey's so special? Has he been faster than
> previous releases by Beman or Dave (or whoever else)?

It is not only Aleksey who's being thanked, but also a bunch
of other people who were supporting the process (including you
and me.) So I guess the point is whether we should thank anyone
or nobody (thanking everybody but the manager would be, well,
weird.) IMHO this is the beginning of a healthy tradition,
no comparison meant to past release managers and collaborators.

> I colloquially feel
> that this release round has taken too long, but I won't officially complain
> since I never did a "bytes of added/changed code" per "release preparation
> time" analysis for all the releases.

I agree with you on this, but this is probably a separate
topic (and a one I'd like to raise once the 1.32 party is over.)

> The only objection I have concerns the cartoon. Yes, I think it's too
> childish. I know this response is too late since Dave has already
> implemented the idea, but can he yank the cartoon, if Dave actually included
> it? (I haven't seen the updated page yet.) Aleksey can include the cartoon
> on his Boost page if he wants.

Having produced the thing, I feel a bit guilty :)
I find the image a little at odds with the general feel
of the site, but some humor cannot hurt much. Anyway, this
is just my personal opinion. At least, I hope nobody
finds it offensive or deeply inappropriate.

Best,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo