From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-18 10:30:41

Daryle Walker wrote:

> Since everyone so far was gushing with joy over the suggestion, I guess I
> have to step in personally to be the kill-joy objector.
>
> The "1.32" moniker implies that there have been (around) 31 previous
> releases. What makes Aleksey's so special? Has he been faster than
> previous releases by Beman or Dave (or whoever else)?

To be honest, I have no idea why you can think that one release manager
is be better than another only because he is faster. IMO, to thank a the
release manager doesn't mean to make any kind of ranking!

> I colloquially feel
> that this release round has taken too long, but I won't officially complain
> since I never did a "bytes of added/changed code" per "release preparation
> time" analysis for all the releases.

Actually, this time there were many new libraries included (more than in
previous releases) that caused many more tests being necessary and many
regressions to be fixed. Although I would have been glad if this release
came earlier, I'm sure that it's much more important to release the
library in a _very_ good state than to release it fast. I never got the
impression that there was too much time wasted as there were many
regressions to fix at any time!

> The only objection I have concerns the cartoon. Yes, I think it's too
> childish.

I've no such feelings (but I've also heard people saying Gary Larson is
childish, so...).

> I know this response is too late since Dave has already
> implemented the idea, but can he yank the cartoon, if Dave actually included
> it? (I haven't seen the updated page yet.)

I really hope he won't.

Stefan