From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-19 11:48:13

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:23:44 -0600, Rene Rivera
<grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Daniel Wallin wrote:
>
> > It's nice, but: I don't like the vertical logo and the blank space in
> > the upper left corner. And I think the icons looks out of place. Perhaps
> > they should be smaller and placed next to the headings (which I don't
> > think should be removed)?
> >
> > Could the body text size be one step smaller perhaps? For some reason I
> > find it a bit hard to read in IE @ 1280x1024 because the font is so big.
> > Maybe that's just me though..
>
> I think it's just you... I don't set the size at all for the body text.
> So it's set to whatever your preferences you decided you wanted in your
> browser. Making other texts larger and smaller is fine, but changing the
> size of regular text on the user is just rude :-)

Its not just Daniel. The text does look rather large to me as well.
Perhaps its just the sans-serif typeface's fault though. The
fixed-width fonts that appear right next to the proportional ones look
a good deal smaller (cf. "floyd_warshall_all_pairs_shortest_paths,
from Lauren Foutz and Scott Hill."). Fiddling with the font size
defaults in my browser fixes the issue, but with the OOTB
configuration, it looks a trifle odd.

> I debated what to do with the top left corner, had the menus all the way
> up for a while with no space. It does need some space there, either as
> whitespace or an image, as otherwise it gets to crowded at top.

I think a rotated version of your Boost logo would go well there, as
in Daniel's screenshot.

> What makes you feel the icons are out of place? Is it only the aspect
> that they show up large on you screen?

They seem too large to me, and begin slightly above the dotted section
delimiter on my browser (Firefox 1.0 on Windows).

Overall I like your design a LOT. These are just minor quibbles.

--
Caleb Epstein
caleb dot epstein at gmail dot com