From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-20 04:28:38

Hi Aleksey,
> Hello,
>
> I'm probably too late and what I'd like to say is too general, but maybe
> somebody will find the following thoughts useful.
> There are many GUI frameworks - platform-specific, platform-independent,
> something in between,
> but most of them (I'm afraid to say all of them :) have the same problems.
>
> On the one hand they give a user many really good things: windowing,
> controls, event handling, geometry, drag&drop support, etc...
> On the other hand they are monolithic - you have to use the *whole*
> framework, you cannot take and use only one subsystem.

I would like to think that win32gui is close to what you're hoping for.

I've put a lot of work in trying to accomplish just that.

However, it's not as easy as one might think. I might have failed at
some parts. If you're willing to take a look at win32gui, I'd welcome
all feedback you or anyone else might have. You also can email me
privately (john at torjo dot com).

> ** general-purpose 2d lightweight geometry and general algorithms
> ( boost::gui::2d::point, rect, path, ...)

some of it it's there

> ** painting areas, canvases and painting algorithms

not yet

> ** events, propagation and handling mechanisms, (event_target, listener,
> subscribers...)

I would say most of it is there

> ** windowing (windows, views...)

yup

> ** layout algorithms (placing visual elements relatively to each other),
> language to express constrains.

not yet

> ** widgets, controls, text engine and etc...

yes

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all