From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-21 15:47:18

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:48:48 -0500, David Abrahams wrote

> > If we were setting things for maximum usability I think you have to
> > go to a dark backgrounds for all sections with white text for the
> > whole page -- which I doubt we are prepared to do...
>
> Uhhh, that's a very personal idea of maximum usability. Studies have
> shown that black on white works better (in aggregate, of course ;->).

Perhaps. Here's a quick quote from the attached web-page:

  Text should be printed with the highest possible contrast. There
  is good evidence that for many readers who are older or partially
  sighted, light (white or light yellow) letters on a dark (black)
  background are more readable than dark letters on a light background.
  However, the traditional dark on light may be aesthetically preferable.

Go to the page to see examples / research:

http://www.lighthouse.org/print_leg.htm
http://www.aprompt.ca/WebPageColors.html

But no matter the research, we need to bow to the last line.

BTW, when I read a web page I like to 'select' the paragraph I'm reading which
has the effect of inverting the text so black on white becomes white on black :-)

Jeff