From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-21 14:48:48

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:55:03 -0500, David Abrahams wrote
>> "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>> > 2) Color choices:
>> > http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/index.htm
>> >
>> > White on blue isn't a good choice here in my view. A light shading with dark
>> > text would be much better.
>>
>> These things are very subjective. I liked the white on blue, but
>> sometimes you have to pick lowest common denominator to make things
>> work for everyone.
>>
>> http://luabind.sourceforge.net/boost.png
>
> Well this one looks good to me -- hopefully it was clear that I
> wasn't commenting on the logo, but the text in the side bar. And in
> that realm I think it's not totally subjective.

Agreed. Just very subjective.

> I'm no usability expert, but I'm sure folks on this list could point
> us to studies which show how to improve usability.

Beyond a certain point, you can only improve usability in agreggate.
At that point any change you make is going to be worse for somebody.

> I think my main issue is that the contrast between the navigation
> aid and the text is too high.

I had a similar feeling about it.

> If we were setting things for maximum usability I think you have to
> go to a dark backgrounds for all sections with white text for the
> whole page -- which I doubt we are prepared to do...

Uhhh, that's a very personal idea of maximum usability. Studies have
shown that black on white works better (in aggregate, of course ;->).

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting