From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-22 12:21:44

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:46:35 -0700, Jeff Garland
<jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:23:06 -0500, Caleb Epstein wrote
> > % CC -V
> > CC: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C++ 5.3 Patch 111685-20 2004/03/19
> >
> > Sorry, I should have been testing this toolset earlier in the release
> > process, but now that the official 1.32.0 is out and I've tried
> > building it with the crufty old Sun CC, I've encountered a handful of
> > errors and perhaps two valid warnings.
>
> Yes, it would've been better to do this before the release -- honestly I'm
> suprised you've been using Sun Workshop and Boost -- I was under the
> impression that everyone that tried this gave up in frustration and used g++.

We're doing this where possible, but there are still some legacy
applications and 3rd party APIs I support that are Solaris-only. These
are dwindling by the day, but there is still the occasional need for a
Solaris build, and I'd like to be able to use what Boost facilities I
can on this platform.

> > The first is in date_time. It appears that Rogue Wave's
> > std::locale::facet has an undocumented abstract virtual method
> > __get_id. Attached is a patch which adds this method when building
> > with SUNPRO_CC and RWSTD. This may be better done with some BOOST_*
> > config macros, I'm not sure.
>
> I'll try and take a look at this and check it in over the next few days...
>
> > I know this is a crufty toolset, but this code (at least date_time
> > and filesystem) used to build with 1.31.0.
>
> It would really help if we had a regression test runner for Solaris tools
> (hint, hint)-- that way we could see what works and what doesn't...

I'll gladly volunteer, but the process would be a very manual one.
The Solaris machines to which I have access are firewalled, so I am
not able to grab code from CVS regularly unless perhaps there is a
regular Boost CVS "tarball" hosted via FTP or http/https. Similarly I
wouldn't be able to host any web pages with the results of the
build/regression tests; these would need to be pushed back to some
other site again via FTP/http.

Is this do-able?

--
Caleb Epstein