From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-26 04:03:14

Daniel James wrote:

> Oh dear. Of course, windows doesn't have symbolic links - I was
> thinking of the faked ones on Cygwin. I really shouldn't post in the
> middle of the night. So Bitkeeper and Perforce certainly don't support
> them. Although apparently ClearCase implements them by intercepting
> file system calls, but ClearCase isn't really appropriate for open
> source projects.

Sorry for jumping in, but I am sucessfully using a kind of "symlinks" on
windows for this.
Are you aware of the linkd command? (Also see junction points.)
You can symlink directories with this. And it is so low level, that
normal file IO goes
through it. However support in the GUI is very limited in that you
cannot by any means
distinguish between a real and a linked directory.
The command line however is different, because the dir command displays them
with extra marks.

I am currently using this to switch part of the boost tree to a local
repository of mine.

Roland