From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-26 13:57:42

David Abrahams wrote:
> Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>>> Is anyone keeping a list of the more likely candidates?
>>
>> I've been saving all the posts, not that it does others much good :-)
>> As you probably noticed rockets are the dominating concept so far.
>>
>> But to help keep track of things here's a wiki page...
>>
>> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostLogo
>>
>> Only some minor comments, and two of my own submissions on it (new
>> ones). I can't rightfully post other peoples work, so others should
>> add to the wiki their own images. And additional notes and ideas.
>
> I think the requirement that
>
> "Logo should be recognizable in small 16x16 pixel size. It will
> eventually need to be a favicon."
>
> is overly restrictive. I note that even Microsoft, who invented
> favicons, isn't using them.
>
> It's possible to think of making some key element of the logo into
> favicon without fitting the whole thing in there, and 16x16 puts some
> severe limitations on what can be expressed.

In their .NET product, the Toolbox icons for components are all 16 x 16. I
find this is extremely restrictive also. I do not think because Microsoft
wants to set some sort of restriction for their own use that one should
necessarily follow this at all, especially as I would not be surprised to
see Microsoft change their viewpoint in the future. Putting out a larger and
more artistically pleasing logo is not going to keep anyone, who is really
interested in what Boost has to offer, from downloading Boost libraries .