From: Tony Han Bao (tonybao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-30 13:24:14

On 30 Nov 2004, at 1:33 pm, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Hi Tony,

Hi V, I heard of you before. Thank you for reply.

> This example misses one important piece -- the call to "nofity"
> function. As
> mentioned in
>
> http://boost.org/doc/html/program_options/overview.html#id548990

> the user-provided notifiers are called by the "program_options::notify"
> function.

I do have a call to notify (See below) in the example but do you mean
notify (my_function1) ?

boost::program_options::store(boost::program_options::
parse_command_line(argc, argv, menu), menu_map);
boost::program_options::notify(menu_map);

I don't know if you tried to use this library but it seems the
documentation regarding notify is wrong (Or I'm wrong).
Try to compile the exact example given by the docs results in an error.
replace notify by notifier will cause the function to be called. Maybe
I'm missing something here.

> The order of invocation is independed of the order on the command
> line, it's just lexicographical order of the option names.

I don't like this. If what you claim is true then I'm losing control
over the program.

> Why do you need specific order?
>
> There's no guarantee at all. The idea is most of the time you don't
> need
> specific order. If you describe your problem, I might offer more
> specific
> help.

What I wanted is to have the user line up their request to the program
as options on the command line and each time an option is read,
something will happen as the order they were read. I would like to
collect some option information as first like files in the example but
it's not essential.

What you are saying is that these options are treated as arguments to
functions but I want them to act more like commands to the program that
will cause some action, so any option has a purpose and a place as when
and where to be used instead of dumping all to the program as
configurations.

You seems very certain of what you are saying. Could you send me the
link of the documents or notes from the developer of this library that
confirm this behaviour?

> - Volodya

Thanks again. I hope you don't mind if I put your e-mail address into
my address book. I would like to talk again.

Regards,

Tony Han Bao
tonybao_at_[hidden]