From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-03 07:10:26

Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
> At Wednesday 2004-12-01 06:51, you wrote:
>> David Abrahams wrote:

>>> (hint, hint: if you'd like to volunteer...)
>>
>> It's now on the to-do list, how's that.
>
> I've installed it and am trying to figure out how to write the base .jam
> for the compiler (need to read how to use it from the command line 1st,
> I guess) then I'll add it to my regression collection.

I am looking at an installation on v1.3 and from the quick scan I have
done it seems that it should be possible to adapt the MS VC++ toolset
(both BBv1 and BBv2) since Open Watcom:
[1] provides an environment setup file at [ow]/setvars.bat (whereas for
MS it is [vc]/bin/vcvars.bat.
[2] provides an implementation of cl.exe at [ow]/binnt/cl.exe -- it
should be easy to adapt to open watcom.

As far as I can tell, this should be fairly trivial for BBv1. The
question is: how do we deal with BBv2.

Looking at this in general, the Digital Mars compiler provides a CL
adapter, so it should be possible to do:

using msvc : 7.0 : "c:/.../vc/bin/cl.exe" ;
using ow : 1.3 : "c:/watcom/binnt/cl.exe" ;
using dm : 8.4 : "c:/dm/bin/cl.exe" ;

where ow and dm are defined something like (pseudocode):

# ow.jam

import msvc ; # bring in the msvc toolset

msvc.adapter : ow : 6.0 ; # treat the ow toolset as a msvc-6.0 clone.
# tell msvc where the environment configuration is relative to cl.exe
msvc.setup : ow : "../setvars.bat" ;

# --end ow.jam

I don't know how easy this would be to implement. The alternative would
be to duplicate the msvc.jam configuration and adapt it for OpenWatcom
and DigitalMars compilers.

Regards,
Reece