From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-04 15:54:28

"Daniel James" <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
> > Too bad :( That's what happens on Comeau and Metrowerks. Intel is such a
strange
> > beast -- I'm using the strict ANSI option (/Za) and the option to disable
> > Microsoft bug emulation (/Qms0).
>
> Here's an alternative based on a mix of Daniel Wallin and Goran
> Mitrovic's code.

Congrulations on figuring out Goran's code. It was written in such peculiar
notation and coding-style that I gave up after a few lines.

> I believe it is standards compliant.

I haven't looked at it yet, but I don't see how code which could assign
different id's to the same type in different translation units could be
compliant. I guess you have to take special care to ensure unique id's?

> And, in theory,
> can allocate up to 4096 ids. It should be easy to extend it do more,
> although compile times will probably put you of doing that.
>
> The problem is, that to use it you have to set the type index at the
> global scope and it can't be called from a template.

Yes, this seemed like a serious limitation of Goran's method based on his
examples. I'd like the id to be set implicitly the first time it's queried.

> Because of that, it
> doesn't offer much advantge over using the preprocessor to allocate ids
> and would probably result in larger compile times.

:(

> Daniel

Best Regards,
Jonathan