From: Bertolt Mildner (Bertolt.Mildner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-08 03:16:17

> > I also see the problem when the tab happens to be not on the first
line.

> > The problem is that in cases where line_length is queried from the
console
> > this may always happen, just set your console to 10 char long lines ->
> > peng.
> > It's the same problem with (first_column_width >= line_length)!
> >
> > I would prefere to *not* throw in this situations, but only assert on
> > them. I think it would be much better to leave a user with an
> > ill-formatted option description than with only an error msg.
>
> Asserting on run-time condition does not seems reasonable to me ;-)
> Maybe, the right solution is to silently ignore tabs which are not on the
> first line of a paragraph?
>
> > And probably set the pragraph indent to something like "tab_pos %
> > (line_length - indent)" to prevent problems in the fromat code. The
> > formatting is smashed anyway ...
>
> Yes, formatting is smashed anyway, so ignoring the tabs on the seconds
line
> is a viable option.

OK, so they are ignored, *but* i still think that asserting on it is vital
because in the other case (= fixed length set by user or even worth, line
length defaults to m_default_line_length cause user did *not* set a line
length at all) it would mean that the formatting simply silently fails.
Not very nice form a users point of view!

Bertolt