From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-08 03:23:32

Seems like the discussion about how to merge copies of utf8 code used by
serialization and program_options has died. I'd like to revive it again,
given that I've recieved yet another patch for that code, and the longer we
have two versions, the harder it will be to merge them later.

The basic question is whether to have a new compiled library in libs/detail,
or just source files which will be included by serialization and
program_options. The problem with compiled library is that users will have to
know that in addition of -lboost_program_options they'll have to add
-lboost_utf8, which is inconvenience. I've mentioned this in

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/106047/

The proposed course of action is documented in:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/106122

Now:

1. Are there any objections?
2. Who does it? I can do it soon. Robert, what do you think?

- Volodya