From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-13 20:59:16

At 05:38 PM 12/13/2004, Beman Dawes wrote:

>At 04:29 PM 12/13/2004, Jeff Garland wrote:
> >On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:09:21 -0500, Beman Dawes wrote

> >> I thought >things that went into the standard had to be available
> >> on an 'any-use' >license >like boost -- or are they planning on
> >> changing the license if this is >accepted?
> >>
> >> I don't know but can find out. Do you have a reference that
> >> discusses the license?
> >
> >If you follow the links on the IBM website to the download page you
will
> > see
> >a license link which then asks for a $3000 payment :-( It's a sure way

> >discourage adoption to only the most highly motivated.
>
>OK, I see it and have queried the committee to see whether the fee
applies
>just to the IBM implementation, or would also apply to decimal TR
>implementors or users.

Apparently the IBM license fee applies to commercial users (whatever
that means) of their decNumber C library. Thus Boost wouldn't want to
provide a C++ wrapper that required use of the IBM decNumber C library.

PJP points out that the IBM decNumber library "is not the subject of the
decimal TR."

--Beman