From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-15 14:07:00

>>But, a jamfile automatically specifies a project.
>

> I don't understand you still. What's "automatically" and what's "specifies a
> project".

http://boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/advanced/jamfiles.html

"As mentioned before, targets are grouped into projects, and each
Jamfile is a separate project."

Anyway, perhaps we use different meanings for the term "project". For
me, it means a set of C++ files, which get built into .obj files, and
then linked together.

>>For Cross Builder, this is not so. You can specify per-directory
>>settings, even if that directory is *not part of any project*.
>

> Could you clarify what's "part of any project". It seems to be that the only

see above.

> difference in Cross Builder is that I don't need to place a file to
> directory.

In Cross Builder, settings are completely hierarchical. See:
http://www.torjo.com/cb/#what_is

> The same in Boost.Build. You just can mark a project root which does not
> inherit settings.

Yes but, if you don't mark any, will a directory inherit the settings
from its parents?

I still don't know for sure how you would accomplish, using Boost.Build,
the example I've shown you in the previous email:

lib
- examples [1]
    - dialogs
      - example1 [2]
      - example2 [3]
       - ...
    - controls
       - control_example1 [4]
       - control_example2 [5]
       - ...
    - ...
- win32gui
    - sources
    - ...

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all