From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-15 09:58:27

John Torjo wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:

>>>Nope, it does not work with Boost.Build, because its Cross Builder's
>>>grammar and concepts are quite different.
>>>
>>>For instance, you can have per-directory/file settings, which I don't
>>>think it's possible for Boost.build.
>>

>> What do you mean?!
>>

> Sorry for being unclear.
>
> What I mean is : in your case (to my understanding), you specify
> properties in a jamfile.
>
> But, a jamfile automatically specifies a project.

I don't understand you still. What's "automatically" and what's "specifies a
project".

> Which means that in
> order to specify some properties, you need to automatically create a
> project.

I'm completely lost. "need to automatically create" makes no sense. I either
need to do something or something is done automatically.

> For Cross Builder, this is not so. You can specify per-directory
> settings, even if that directory is *not part of any project*.

Could you clarify what's "part of any project". It seems to be that the only
difference in Cross Builder is that I don't need to place a file to
directory.

> The will simply propagate to their subdirectories/files.
>
> Also, in Cross Builder, there is no project root. Every directory simply
> inherits all settings from its parent directories.

The same in Boost.Build. You just can mark a project root which does not
inherit settings.

- Volodya