From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-15 14:33:53

Hajo Kirchhoff wrote:

> John Torjo wrote:
>
>>> Looks interesting. How does it compare with other such cross platform
>>> / meta make utilities such as CMake?
>>

>> I guess I leave this comparison up to you. Just try using it...
>

> Have you tried other meta make utilities such as CMake before creating
> your tool or are you leaving this up to me because you haven't had the
> chance to try CMake yet?

First of all, I simply don't like make tools - where you need to modify
scripts by hand.

What I wanted was simply a RAD tool, to make it extremely easy to build
projects, and modify compiler settings.

That's what I've hopefully provided.

As for cmake, I took a look at it once, but I just don't like it (see
above). And I haven't heard of bakefile before. I've taken a look at it,
and from all the make programs, this is the clear winner. So if you want
to use a make-like tool, by reading its docs, I'd certainly recommend it.

> I am trying to decide on a build tool for the Lit Window Library and am
> considering bjam, cmake, bakefile and would just like to get an opinion
> about your tool before delving deeper into it. BTW, I need linux support

First of all, if you specifically want a make-clone, then Cross Builder
is not for you.
For starters, using Cross Builder, you manipulate settings from within
the GUI - you never manipulate any script file manually.

> as well as VC6++ and .NET project creation, meaning the tool should
> create .NET project/solution files rather than acting as a build tool.

For .net project creation, I do plan to offer such a feature, but in the
distant future.

> As far as I understand bjam, it does not (yet?) create .NET projects but
> compiles the sources directly. Am I wrong?
>
> When do you expect to have linux support?

I hope within 6-12 months.

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all