From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-16 17:23:56

David Abrahams wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:

>>I'm not the right person to tell BB developers what their responsibility
>>is, but I believe providing a more neutral way to access required
>>compiler flags for easy integration into *any* build system would be
>>very much appreciated by everybody.
>

> I see your point. I guess once you're dealing with a particular
> prebuilt file, there's little need for a platform-/compiler-neutral
> description of how it was built.

my understanding of this whole thread so far is that indeed there
is such a need. It's not about what was needed to get where we are
but about what is needed to make the current status (i.e. prebuilt
boost libraries) useable to compile end-products.
You already encode part of that information into the library names.
But a) that's not enough to regenerate the whole set of flags
(compiler and linker) that still need to be known, and b) there
is no way to automatize that recovery process and hook it up
with end-user build systems.

Regards,
                Stefan