From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-17 22:10:29

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>> Note the the serialization library contains code for doing exactly
>>> this.
>
> Note that the implementation above is not dependent on codecvt nor on
> streams. It just converts wstring to string and back again.

The code_converter component I mentioned doesn't use streams either. But it can
be used to adapt streams -- to turn a narrow character stream into a wide
character stream or vice versa.

We've already discussed the tradeoffs between using iterators or objects with a
socket-like interface to perform filtering:

http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg70761.php

It is crucial to support codecvts, since this is how the C++ standard libraries
encapsulates code conversion. If you don't allow for a user-supplied codecvt,
you can't reuse the large number that have already been written, such as the
dozens that come with the Dinkumware CoreX library.

> Robert Ramey

Jonathan