From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-18 10:49:55

At 11:31 PM 12/17/2004, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:
>> Dinkumware is proposing part of their library for standardization. See
>> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1683.html
>> If we like it, we can support their proposal and perhaps do an
>> independent implementation for Boost.
>
>It's easy to implement as a wrapper around code_converter. Should I add
it?

Not yet. N1683 hasn't been accepted by the LWG group, and is likely to
change at least in minor ways.

I think what we should do at this point is write a critique of N1683,
supporting that proposal but also suggesting various changes.

I'll try to pull something together based on comments already made, and
post it here to get comments, corrections, and additional thoughts.

My interest in this is that I need wstring_convert (or something like it)
for internationalization of the filesystem library, and I'd much rather
base that on something already in Boost and/or the standard library than
have to roll my own.

--Beman