From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-18 05:54:59

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
| At 05:01 PM 12/17/2004, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
|
| >The Dinkumware CoreX library also contains a component, wstring_convert,
| >for this purpose. Since it doesn't make a detour through streams, it
| might
| >be more efficient.
|
| Dinkumware is proposing part of their library for standardization. See
| http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1683.html
|
| Should Boost be looking at that proposal? Seems to me we should.
|
| If we like it, we can support their proposal and perhaps do an independent
| implementation for Boost. If we think it needs changes, the sooner those
| get communicated to Dinkumware and/or the LWG, the better.

I don't like that std::basic_string is hardcoded in the interface.
I talked briefly with Bill about it in Redmond. I would rather see
a more complicated coverter class and then an easy function interface on top
of that, maybe like

vector<char> bytes;
convert_to_bytes<utf8_enc>( L"foo", bytes );
vector<wchar_t> wides;
convert_to_wides<utf8_enc>( bytes, wides );

or something.

-Thorsten