From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-24 15:23:26

At 01:50 PM 12/24/2004, David Abrahams wrote:
>Robert Ramey wrote:
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is what you're suggesting, but I can't
>>> overemphasize how odious I find the idea of capitalizing on Boost's
>>> ready-made community, knowledge, and mailing lists, only to take the
>>> successful project away later and run it under "a separate umbrella."
>>
>> Hmm - maybe this concern is a little premature. Perhaps it might be
best
>> left until such a library is actually built in accordance with some
boost
>> consensus and passes boost review.
>
>That would certainly be much too late, especially if the intention is to
>do the major work of development here and then take it away before even
>submitting it for review.
>
>My concern may be the result of misinterpretation, but if not, we ought
>to deal with it now.

Yes. We do have successful models from Spirit, Python, and several other
libraries of projects that run their own mailing lists and some other
resources while continuing to work under the Boost umbrella and continuing
to contribute to Boost releases. That's fine, and hopefully what the OP was
talking about.

But to hijack Boost resources during early development with no plan to
actually summit a library for formal review would be totally unacceptable
and lead to a lot of ill-will and hard feelings.

--Beman