From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-24 14:02:50

David Abrahams wrote:
> I don't know if this is what you're suggesting, but I can't
> overemphasize how odious I find the idea of capitalizing on Boost's
> ready-made community, knowledge, and mailing lists, only to take the
> successful project away later and run it under "a separate umbrella."

FYI, I have no intention on doing this since Boost has a lot of
prewrapped functionality such as build and test systems as well as a lot
of libraries such as date-time and signals that my design is currently
dependant on these (and growing in dependance). Splitting the GUI
libraries would make it hard for new developers to get up to speed as
they would need a version of Boost. Also, in moving the library, you
would have the same problem as the original approach of starting out.

There are people very knowledgable in various areas that frequent the
Boost mailinglists and may not want to go to watch "a separate
umbrella", but may have a thought that is important to the development
of the GUI libraries.

My main concern is in keeping the library simple, w.r.t. adoption, while
allowing more complex design patterns such as splitters, text/HTML
document viewers/editors and others. I am trying to keep the core
functionality as simple and small as possible.

Happy Holidays,
Fröhliche Weihnachten,
Feliz Navidad,
Reece