From: Alan Gutierrez (alan-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-29 06:58:11

* Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> [2004-12-28 13:00]:
> At 10:34 AM 12/28/2004, Alan Gutierrez wrote:

> > !~ In any case, I'm getting ready to wind down my participation in
> > these discussions, because I don't think there is much interest
> > here for a UI library, ...
>
> Be careful. Assessing interest is harder than it looks. (1)
> Because of the holidays, some of the boost regulars haven't been
> doing much posting. I know I've been totally distracted with
> non-boost activities, and didn't even check email for several
> days. (2) Even direct queries regarding interest in some library
> often draw responses from only three or four people. It isn't
> realistic to expect large numbers of responses unless a query is
> controversial. (3) Assessing interest based on responses to
> technical discussions may not be the best way. A separate message
> devoted only to the question of interest would be better.

    Thank you for that explaination, it helps, so...

    I don't want to continue to participate if I'm off-topic.

    Do people feel that my line thinking is off-topic or beyond the
    scope of a user interface library?

        Does not a discussion of UI library design include a
        discussion of UI design?

    I don't see that anyone shares my thinking, so I feel like I'm
    only distracting this group from what it wants to accomplish,
    which is different from what I'd like to accomplish. I'm hearing
    that UI design is off topic, and I think that is plain wrong.

    If in the end I'm implementing similar ideas, with a different
    focus, I don't want to generate ill-will.

    I'd like to continue to participate in the UI discussion, to see
    if anyone returning in January is similiarly directed, but in
    the mean time, I'm setting up my own work environment so I can
    play around with UI Design Patterns.

    If this is a conflict of interest tell me now.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan_at_[hidden]