From: Simon Barner (barner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-06 18:47:53

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Very helpful.
>
> Is there any chance you can upload the test results to the test matrix?

How would I do it? Sorry, I couldn't find it in the Boost documentation.
In the meantime, the regression tests for FreeBSD 5.3 have completed
(basically, it's nothing but launching run_tests.sh and waiting until it
completes, right?).

I have uploaded the test results here, but I can submit them at the
proper place later.

http://home.leo.org/~barner/boost/FreeBSD-5.3/

The tests for FreeBSD 4.11-RC1 are soon to come!

[...]

> The serialization library consists of 2 libraries: serialization and
> wserialization. wserialization implements those facilities which depend on
> wide characters. The failure of wserialization to built for lack of wide
> character support does not inhibit the usage of the library where wide
> characters are not needed.
>
> It turns out that there are number of libraries/compiler combinations which
> fail to support wide characters or have some problem with them. In these
> cases the wserialization library will fail to build and the corresponding
> tests fail to run for lack of a library. So this change should be
> unnecessary. Furthermore , there are combination which might miight work -
> for example gcc 3.42(or 2.85) + STLPort so the Jamfile should be left to
> permit these to be run and tested.
>
> To summarize, the jamfile should be set up to permit an attempt to build
> both libraries. If wserialization fails to build, it indicates that that
> part of the library cannot be used. However, there's no reason the rest
> can' t be used and tested.

I think that I introduced the patch because the wserialization library
cause the entire build process to terminate, which might or might not
be the FreeBSD ports collection's fault. I'll verify this later!

Simon