From: Simon Barner (barner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-06 19:01:07

Caleb Epstein wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:07:38 +0100, Simon Barner <barner_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[...]

> > -SUFDLL ?= .so ;
> > +SUFDLL ?= .so.2 ;

[...]

> As of Boost 1.32.0, the shared libraries are properly versioned (e.g.
> they have a proper SONAME attribute set and there is a
> libboost_XXX.so.1.32.0). Is this change necessary then?

Probably still, yes, because as far as I understand FreeBSD's shared
library naming scheme is not compatible to your policy:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/policies-shlib.html

But this patch is very specific to the ports collection (in order to
meet the strict rules that were set up to maintain a software build system for
12k+ applications and libraries -- for people who are building Boost directly
from source, your naming convention looks good to me.

Simon