From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-08 11:24:09

Caleb Epstein wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:07:38 +0100, Simon Barner <barner_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>Starting with Boost v. 1.31.0, I intend to bump the shared library
>>version number with every boost release in order to prevent from
>>problems that are caused by ABI incompatiblities.
>>
>>(This is a requirement of the FreeBSD Ports Collection).

> As of Boost 1.32.0, the shared libraries are properly versioned (e.g.
> they have a proper SONAME attribute set and there is a
> libboost_XXX.so.1.32.0). Is this change necessary then?
>
> There is the unfortunate matter of the version number being encoded in
> the name TWICE now (e.g. libboost_thread-gcc-mt-1_32.so.1.32.0) which6
> I think is a problem and should be corrected. The versioned shared
> object should be sufficient without having to encode the Boost version
> in the part of the name that comes *before* .so.

Given my other post about this... Perhaps the 1_32 version tag is not
superfluous in this case. And for everyones benefit, that tag is only
superfluous on platforms that have soname versions, which is a rather
small set for BBv1: gcc on Linux and OpenBSD, Intel Linux, or SunPro. So
in the FreeBSD case the 1.32.0 tag is not there AFAIK. ;-)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything