From: christopher diggins (cdiggins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-08 11:26:09

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roland Schwarz" <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 5:57 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Any interest in a library for supporting program reuse?

> christopher diggins wrote:
>
>> I am trying to describe a way to write a C++ program by packaging the
>> entire thing (entry point, global functions, global variable) in a single
>> object.
>>
> Perhaps I am missing the point, but why not simply do something along the
> lines of "popen"?
> This will not put any requirements other than having stdin and stdout on
> the "base object program"?

The approach I am proposing, doesn't require the programs to have separate
executable files. It also is completely platform agnostic. With something
like popen() you have the following requirements:
- you have to compile multiple executables
- the executables must exist and you know where they are
- the operating system supports piping
- there is an operating system

Multiple executables can be tricky to manage, etc. I want my libraries to
have a single C++ program, which runs every test and benchmark, which is
platform independant. This makes testing much easier.

Christopher Diggins
http://www.cdiggins.com
http://www.heron-language.com